Group laboratory operations
Our group laboratory operation is ISO 17025 accredited and serves as the reference laboratory for all PPC's factory laboratories (SA and international), spanning chemistry, cement and concrete, and metrology.
Its main tasks and services include:
- Routine physical testing of cement for IDM and Jupiter
- Routine aggregate exploration testing for Mooiplaas
- Routine quality-control testing of fly ash for Ulula
- Resolving customer complaints (cement, concrete and process)
- Customer support, in line with PPC's beyond the bag approach
- Assisting plant laboratories on equipment, process and product issues
- Characterising alternative materials, such as alternative fuels, refuse-derived fuel, synthetic gypsum and more
- Design and support plants' laboratory temperature and humidity-control systems
- Product development testing
- Testing air quality samples
- Testing mining exploration samples for the group
- Testing cement and concrete additives as well as admixtures
- Concrete mix designs and aggregate testing
Expert analytical and physical testing, supported by advanced techniques and superior equipment, make our group laboratory operations a significant competitive advantage for the group.
Leading technical training
The Technical Skills Academy (TSA) is an accredited training facility that supports human capital development. Its aim is to empower the PPC business by developing technical competence.
The first formalised PPC apprentice training began in 1975, and the training centre's first phase was built over the next two years at our Slurry factory in the North West province. Phase two was completed in 1982 to 1983 and included the administration building, mechanical workshop facilities and the first accommodation facilities. Phase three was completed in 2006 to 2007, adding an auditorium and 40 accommodation rooms. Current TSA capacity is around 60 learners per training block.
TSA reports into PPC Group Services and is operated as a business unit, selling training days, accommodation and meals to its customers.
TSA is currently accredited by the Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA), Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services Sector Education and Training Authority (merSETA) and the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO).
PPC employees from South Africa and international are eligible to attend training at TSA, although some programmes have also been offered to external customers. TSA's programmes are focused on training in all technical disciplines in the PPC group and its subsidiaries, as well as embedding workplace safety throughout technical training activities.